Sunday, October 25, 2009

Vegetarian Chili and Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies


One of my all time favorite foods is chili. Especially when it is a spicy chili, rich with tomato flavor. Last night I made VEGETARIAN CHILI from the cookbook. This recipe incorporates onion, garlic, green pepper, bulger and lots of spices.

Added to this base are tomatoes, beans, and water, and the mixture is simmered for 30 minutes. I topped the servings of chili with cheese, and served it with homemade corn chips and carrots.

This was a very good chili-spicy, hearty, and filling. I did double the spices the recipe called for, because I like my chili to be hot! The recipe also called to stir in butter and the end of the cooking period, and I forgot to do that. I am interested in knowing what the butter will add to the dish, and I will add some to the leftovers I have. The bulgur added a lot of texture and heartiness to the chili. I will make this again-it is an easy dish to prepare, and does not require a very long cooking period.

For dessert I made PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES from the cookbook. These cookies start with a butter dough that is chilled in the refrigerator for a few hours before being shaped into balls and baked for 15 minutes.


These cookies were good, but I would not consider them perfect. The cookbook said to take the cookies off the cooking sheets 1 minute after taking them out of the oven, which I did not do. Therefore, I had a very hard time getting these cookies of the baking sheets. The cookies are rich and flavorful, but they are not the best chocolate chip cookies I have ever made. I will keep searching for the "perfect" cookie recipe!

3 comments:

  1. The steam rising from the chile must have send wonderful aromas into the air! That sounds like a wonderful recipe and one I may try myself..............good job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't preview my comment, I really can spell, certainly not obvious in that comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you're going to call it classy, it has to have a bow tie. If anyone knows this it should be you, Shannon.

    ReplyDelete