Monday, November 2, 2009

Vegetable Lo-Mien, Iced Ginger Tea and Chocolate Earthquakes


I know this is an unpopular opinion, but I like when the time falls back. Especially the first few days after the change, you feel like you have an extra hour in the morning! On the day of the time change this year, I took advantage of the extra hour and made 3 great recipes!

The first was ICED GINGER TEA. This drink is made by simmering chopped ginger in water, then stirring in sugar and chilling until cold. Serve over ice, and then you have a simple tea drink that is a surprisingly refreshing treat!

The main course was VEGETABLE LO-MIEN. I have made a few different versions of this recipe, but this one blew all the others away! Garlic and ginger are sauteed in oil until fragrant, and tofu is added and cooked until golden brown. Carrots and scallions are added to the mixture, along with a sauce of sesame oil, soy sauce, sugar, cornstarch and water. Cooked noodles are stirred into the mixture, and the result is a flavorful, fresh Asian style dish!



For dessert, CHOCOLATE EARTHQUAKES were on the menu. These simple, fudgy cookies are formed into balls before cooking, then rolled in powdered sugar. As they bake, the powdered sugar "cracks", creating fault lines from the earthquakes!



This dinner was amazing! The ginger tea was outstanding. I was very unsure about it when I made it, afraid that it would be overly gingery. Luckily I was wrong. It was light and flavorful. The lo-mien is the best I have ever had, and was easy to make. The cookies were great, very chocolaty. The cookies even got a "WOW" out of Mr. Sexy Veggie! These are my favorite recipes from the cookbook so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment